Friday, January 10, 2014

The Old Man

Military deployments are a young man's game...although I'm still able to play...moments arise where there is no denying my days are numbered.  Like tonight, with my 50th birthday while on a mission...below the solemn occassion was acknowledged while passing over Kabul at 21,000 feet. 
  I tell the youngsters the lyrics to George Strait's song Troubadour apply since "I still feel 25, most of the time, I still raise a little cain with the boys"...only to be reminded my life is two-thirds over.
 
Getting old in the military means you get a bunch more additional duties.  In my case, Standardization Instructor Pilot (SP) and Maintenance Pilot (MP), which basically has me mentoring the young pilots...I'm fortunate to have some quality CW2's.  Together we have shared several "Firsts"...first flight in a combat zone, first landing at maximum crosswind and ultimately first flight as Pilot-In-Command. 
 
The CW2's consist of a couple prior enlisted infantry guys and a country boy from Oklahoma...meaning there is no shortage of chewing tobacco, cigarettes, testosterone or ego when discussing flying...resulting in some of my fondest memories.
It took me longer than it should have to figure out this biblical principal---A Leader Is A Servant---and that wisdom is what keeps me young at heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home