Saturday, February 01, 2014

The Pieces Left Behind

Life has returned to normal, I'm back at my civilian medical helicopter job and flying airplanes part-time for the Army Reserve.  As I work a night shift on my beautiful girl's 16th birthday, I figured it's time to post the final blog entry---although I think I've said that before!
 
Our fifth deployment ended just before 1 AM on February 1st.  Since flight delays had me arriving home late, Mom and I decided to let you sleep though the homecoming.  When Mom arrived, the airport was totally empty, except for me and my military duffle bag...the ultimate in low-profile homecomings.  We waited until your beauty rest was complete before taking our reunion photo after church later that morning.
Over the last decade of deployments, I sense I've lost a little piece of myself every deployment; a dash of patriotism, a touch of idealism, a shred of compassion, a chink in my honor...along with an increased awareness that history will likely judge the U.S. involvement in the "War on Terror" conflicts harshly.
 
Through it all...you girls have been my anchor…the reason I get rejuvenated…where life becomes fun and my spirit is restored.  I love you and it's awesome to be Home!
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home