Thursday, September 15, 2011

Family In Kampala

The last time I saw my neice she was starting 7th-grade in California...fast forward...she is now a Junior at Syracuse and spending a semester abroad at Makerere College in Kampala, Uganda.  In that time, she has blossomed into a beautiful lady with an adventurous spirit and desire to serve others.   Follow her journey at A Corner Of The Universe
We met after her afternoon class at the Kampala Serena, the nicest hotel in Kampala, which offers a setting in stark contrast to the surrounding area.  After catching up over cappacinos poolside, we decided to make a visit to her sponsor family. 
But first, let me put something in context...I live in a shipping container when I'm not traveling.  In addition, any military guy knows to never pass up a hot-shower.  Realizing my niece is now an experienced traveler in Africa...it took about 5 seconds to persuade her to take my room key and pamper herself in a 5-star hotel room...in Africa, a hot shower with water pressure is a luxury!
Next stop was the Nakumatt, an African version of WalMart, for food and a house-warming gift for "Momma" where we decided on a scarf.  From there, off we went by taxi to Muyenga-Barasa, an up-scale neighborhood in Kampala...where I was treated to an authentic African meal and truly enjoyed the opportunity to meet her sisters.
So Bro...your little girl is happy, healthy and not in need of anything...but wise beyond her years!